A 'Royal' Club with a 'Victorian' heritage, but with a modern outlook of family friendly water sports
"At a meeting of gentlemen, favourable to the formation of a Sailing Club, held in Lamb's Hotel Dundee on Friday 27th March 1885, it was unanimously resolved by those present to form themselves into a Sailing Club to be known as the Tay Corinthian Yacht Club"
Since 1885, a lot of water has ebbed and flowed past the club's base in West Ferry Bay and despite all the challenges faced over the years the club continues to prosper as Tayside's leading water sports club.
For many years, including two world wars, RTYC was based at the 'Beach Clubhouse' on Grassy Beach (a listed property still owned and used by the club to this day). In 1955 the opportunity arose to acquire Fort William House, a much bigger property on the main Dundee road for use as our principal clubhouse. Fort William House served the club well for over 60 years, with its heyday being the good old days of the 1960s, 70s and 80s with club dances, the 'one-armed bandit' and great bar takings before people's social habits and lifestyles changed.
Reluctantly the Board and club members concluded that Fort William House was no longer able to meet the needs of members today and it was sold.
The good news is that we have acquired and modified another, more modern property, in a better location, viz Glenogil House, which we hope will be our clubhouse home for the next 50 years or more.
Last updated 13:02 on 12 July 2023